Properties

Current properties in the program

Former Dr Pepper Plant

Former Dr Pepper Plant

211 North Bridge Street

Hotel Louise

Hotel Louise

163 W Main Street

427 & 429 Bridge Street

427 & 429 Bridge Street

427 & 429 Bridge Street

Moore Motor Company

Moore Motor Company

Corner of 5th & Bridge Street

Pamlico Chemical Company

Pamlico Chemical Company

933 West Main Street

Former Dr. Pepper Plant/Washington MGP Site

211 North Bridge Street

Description

This property contains two parcels and encompasses an entire city block. Historical documentation from 1901 depicts the site developed with several residential structures and the Washington Gas Company, a manufactured gas plant (MGP). The MGP site, which operated under several different names over the years, operated from approximately 1857 through 1947 when the plant was converted to propane. Gas storage tanks are visible on historic aerial photographs up until 1958. Between 1964 and 1974, the remaining residential properties were razed at which time the site was occupied by the former Dr. Pepper Plant on the northern portion of the property. All onsite structures were razed around 2006. Historic MGP operations have contributed to soil and groundwater contamination at the site and the property is listed as a State Hazardous Waste Site. In 2007, impacted soils in the area of the former MGP site were excavated and disposed offsite. The excavation area was greater than 2,500 square feet and multiple subgrade structures formerly used in MGP operations were uncovered and removed. Groundwater monitoring wells present at the site are presently sampled semi-annually to document groundwater quality as it pertains to the site. Historical documents reviewed during the performance of a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment indicated that soil and groundwater quality on the portion of the site associated with the former MGP site had adequately been assessed and/or remediated.

The City of Washington expressed interest in redeveloping this property with a new police station and other possible municipal building. In July 2019, Mid-Atlantic conducted additional soil and groundwater assessment to provide analytical data to determine if engineering controls would be necessary to safely develop and occupy the site and provide the North Carolina Superfund Program and Brownfields Program the information they need to regulate the project. Following completion of the Phase II Environmental Site Assessment in July 2019, interpretation of the analytical data indicates soil and/or groundwater contamination is present on portions of the site not historically utilized by the MGP site. However, these constituents should not pose an impediment to future redevelopment of the site.

With the assistance of Mid-Atlantic, the property was deemed eligible for the North Carolina Brownfields Program (NCBP) and the City and the NCBP are currently in negotiations to finalizing a Brownfields Agreement for the property. Once filed with the property deed, a finalized Brownfields Agreement offers the City liability protection in redevelopment and reuse of the site. Redevelopment plans for the site are still under development; however, a preliminary schematic of the proposed redevelopment is attached.

Hotel Louise

163 W Main St

Description

The Hotel Louise was constructed at the site sometime between 1901 and 1904. The property operated as a hotel until at least 1967 and was repurposed as the Parkview Apartments as early as 1972. The property operated as an apartment building from 1972 until approximately 2010 after which the site has sat vacant.

Asbestos-containing materials (ACM) and lead-based paint (LBP) have been identified throughout the entire onsite structure. Both of these materials are classified by the EPA as hazardous materials and can contribute to a number of serious negative health conditions. The exorbitant cost associated with remediating these materials have prohibited several prospective developers from successful redevelopment of the property. As the site has sat vacant over the last decade, the property has fallen into a level of disrepair and desperately needs someone to make the investment to revitalize this property.

With the assistance of Mid-Atlantic, the property was deemed eligible for the North Carolina Brownfields Program (NCBP) and the current property owner and the NCBP are currently in negotiations to finalizing a Brownfields Agreement for the property. In addition, Mid-Atlantic is in the process of authoring an EPA Clean-Up Grant application for the Hotel Louise property to cover a majority of the costs necessary to remediate and redevelop this historic landmark.

427 & 429 Bridge Street

Description

These parcels are located on the corner of 5th Street and Bridge Street, on the main corridor into Downtown Washington. The corner property, 429 Bridge Street, is developed with a vacant 1,556 square foot structure and 427 Bridge Street is currently developed with a 3,780 square foot structure occupied by a Hispanic grocery store. According to historical photographs, both parcels historically operated as automotive repair facilities from at least 1958 until approximately 1985. The corner property also historically operated as a gasoline filling station. The gasoline tanks associated with the filling station were removed from the property in 1993 and subsequent environmental assessments indicated the underground storage tanks (USTs) had failed and released gasoline to the subsurface resulting in soil and groundwater contamination of petroleum.

During a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment, Mid-Atlantic identified two underground hydraulic lifts and an oil/water separator within the onsite vacant structure. In addition, two oil/water separators were identified within the structure currently occupied by the Hispanic grocery store. Mid-Atlantic recommended removing the lifts and sampling around the oil/water separators to determine if the historical operation of these systems had adversely impacted the site.

The property is actively listed “For Sale” and understanding the soil and/or groundwater quality at a property historically used for automotive repair would be helpful in marketing the property. With the current property owner’s permission, Mid-Atlantic conducted a Phase II Environmental Site Assessment to remove the underground hydraulic lifts and assess current onsite soil quality. A subsequent groundwater assessment will likely be necessary to achieve NCDEQ regulatory closure and increase the marketability of this property.

Moore Motor Company

Corner of 5th and Bridge Street

Description

Located on the corner of 5th Street and Bridge Street, the Moore Motor Company historically operated as an automotive sales and repair facility from 1964 until approximately 2011. During a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment, Mid-Atlantic observed three floor drains,  one probable underground hydraulic lift, two aboveground hydraulic lifts, and several areas of surficial staining.

Mid-Atlantic recommended conducting a Phase II Environmental Site Assessment to determine if soil and/or groundwater contamination are present at the site as a result of the historical use of the site for automotive repair. In the event the current property owner decides to sell the property, an understanding the soil and/or groundwater quality at a property historically used for automotive repair would be helpful in marketing the property.

Pamlico Chemical Company

Description

The Former Pamlico Chemical site, located at 933 West Main Street, was developed as early as 1901 with a barrel and wooden roller manufacturer and railroad. The manufacturing facility appears to have been razed sometime between 1904 and 1911 and the 1924 and 1943 Sanborn maps depict the site developed with residential structures along the railroad tracks. Historical aerial photographs indicate that site use transitioned to industrial purposes sometime between 1964 and 1974 until approximately 2014, after which the buildings were razed. Since that time, the site has remained vacant with remnant structure footprints and paved parking areas. Through a series of mergers and acquisitions, the property is now owned by Nutrien AG Solutions, Inc. whom currently does not intend to utilize or redevelop the property. The City of Washington envisions the site’s potential could be realized as green space and/or boat dock/launch for the neighboring residential communities.

Send Us a Message